Friday, November 16, 2012

Ho Ho Ho Wreath


I know it has been a crazy long time since my last blog, but the summer was busy with a new house. The fall came and I started teaching so now that the holidays are here, my crafting is in full force!! I am starting my tutorials today with the "Ho Ho Ho Wreath."
 

 
Many of us have seen this on Pinterest, but there are no instructions to tell you how to make this crafty wreath. So here goes on my take of it!!
 
I started with a wire wreath ring from hobby lobby that measures about 1.5 feet wide.
Next you need about 2.5 yards of red burlap. I didn't need all of this but I only had about 1/4 of a yard left over, so I always like to have a little extra. This way if you make your ties tighter or miss cut some pieces you don't have to worry about it. I also got this at Hobby Lobby, but I am sure most fabric stores will have it.
  
 
I cut the burlap into 1.5-2 inch strips. Then I cut that strip in half. So each long should give you 4 small 9-10 inch strips that you will use to tie. (I don't have a picture of these, but you can't mess that part up). If your strips are too long, just trim them.
 
Now its time to start tying the small strips around the wreath. I wanted to make the wreath full, so I chose to tie my first tie around the inner 2 rings. Next tie was around the outer 2 rings. The last tie was around the center 2 rings. (See below picture). I continued this process all around the wreath. Pushing the strips as tight together as I could get them.
 
Note 3 ties above

 After you completed the whole wreath then you are ready to attach your letters. I purchased my wooden letters at Hobby Lobby for $1.49 each. I painted them to with a white acrylic paint. I attached them with a hot glue gun. Make sure you adjust your burlap so there is something your letters can stick too.
 

I started in the center of the wreath and then attached other "ho"s on the sides.
 
On to the belt. I wonderful husband, cut the buckle out of from left over cardboard and made 2 slits on each side so I could slide the ribbon through. Then we painted it silver and added glitter! Once dry, I slide the black ribbon through the 2 slits to make it look like Santa's belt.
 
 
Now all you have to do is attach the belt to the wreath. I wanted the belt as tight as I could get it so it didn't swag in the center of the wreath. This was a little difficult to keep the wreath looking pretty and get the belt tight enough. (I think the one on Pinterest used black burlap, so it's up to you on the material for the belt.) I hot glued the ribbon to the back of the wreath structure. Make sure not got to glue it to your burlap strips because it won't stay tight enough.
 
 
 
 Now you are FINISHED!! You should now have a festive "Ho Ho Ho Wreath" of your own!!
 
 
 
Happy Christmas Crafting!!
 

7 comments: